homepage logo

Finest Kind enjoys double blue marlin day

By Staff | Dec 3, 2009

From left, Capt. Dave Hudson, Dan Rumelhart, Anthony Lawson and crewman Sean Hudson with their 382.6-pound blue marlin.

LAHAINA — The Finest Kind had a nice double blue marlin day with a 382.6-pound fish for Dan Rumelhart and a 241.5-pound fish for Anthony Lawson. They were fishing with Capt. Dave Hudson and crew Sean Hudson.

They were heading out to the MC-Buoy off the southwest corner of Lanai. About three miles past the K-Buoy, they got a strike on the short corner lure.

Sean saw a big boil on the lure, and the reel started to sing. The marlin never jumped but almost spooled the 130-class reel. There was about 100 yards left before the fish slowed down 900 yards later.

Dave had the boat in full reverse after the marlin as Dan kept up the pace of the chase. The fish stayed near the surface the entire time, allowing Dave to stay after it. Sean watched as the angle on the line kept coming up, then back down, but the fish never jumped.

A half-hour later, Dan had his marlin to the boat. It came up on the port corner, with Dan cranking the swivel out of the water. As Sean grabbed the leader, the marlin was all lit-up and started shaking its head. Sean dumped the leader and let the fish go, with it taking out about ten yards.

Dave idled the boat back to the marlin as Dan cranked it in. Sean was able to take wraps on the leader and pulled it up. Dave came over to secure their catch, but the marlin kicked up the side of the boat. Sean held on to the leader as Dave got a securing shot into the fish. As they pulled the marlin in the boat, it looked 350 pounds.

Dave throttled the boat ahead and continued toward the MC-Buoy as Sean set out both outriggers. Sean put the Steve Elkins “Diamondback Popsicle” lure out on the short corner next. As he turned his back to set out the long corner rod, the short corner reel took off.

The marlin grabbed the lure and just sat there, thrashing its head back and forth trying to shake the hook.

Suddenly, it started jumping toward the boat. Dave punched the boat ahead for at least a quarter-mile, trying to put some distance between them and the charging marlin.

Sean could see a big loop in the line, cutting across the surface, as the fish finally turned away from them.

Anthony cranked up the slack as they pulled the loop out. Once everything was straight, Dave was in reverse after the fish.

The marlin disappeared for about ten minutes and then came back up, continuing its airborne display. With all the surface activity, Anthony had his fish to the boat in about a half-hour off the port corner.

The marlin was still a bit feisty as Sean grabbed the leader, shaking its head from side to side. As soon as Dave stuck the marlin with the fly-gaff, the hooks fell out.   All that was holding the fish was the gaff rope as it thrashed around on the side of the boat. They finally got the marlin subdued and pulled it aboard.