homepage logo

Help contribute to Maui County government

By Staff | Dec 21, 2017

One of the many tall tales of the late Arsene “Blackie” Gadarian involved a woman who reportedly filed suit against the gruff owner of Blackie’s Bar for singling her out and mistreating her as a customer.

According to the legend, the judge threw out the case, reasoning that Blackie treated ALL of his customers poorly.

Jokes aside, Blackie was similar to many members of the West Maui community in that he followed the news closely, stayed current on developments in Maui County government and spoke out if a government project was flawed, too expensive or just didn’t add up somehow.

West Siders who remember Blackie may not know that he served on the Maui County Board of Ethics from 2000-05 and Liquor Commission from 2006-11.

If you want to play an important role in county government – but want to avoid the drama of running for office – consider applying to serve on a Maui County board, council, commission or committee. The deadline to submit an application is Dec. 31.

Openings include positions on the Board of Ethics, Board of Variances and Appeals, Board of Water Supply, Cost of Government Commission, Fire and Public Safety Commission, Maui County Cultural Resources Commission and Maui Planning Commission, among many others.

Responsibilities include hearing public testimony, reviewing policies and standards and making recommendations.

Positions are appointed by the mayor, confirmed by the County Council and have terms lasting two to five years.

While no monetary compensation is provided for serving on a board or commission, the public’s volunteer participation helps provide an important government service.

Anyone interested in serving on a board or commission may apply online at www.mauicounty.gov/Boards. Paper applications are also available at the County Building in the Mayor’s Office on the ninth floor, and in West Maui at Lahaina Public Library and the Parks and Recreation Permit Office at Lahaina Civic Center. For more information, call the Office of the Mayor at 270-7855.

What talents or expertise can you bring to local government?