homepage logo

An update on Lulu

By Staff | Nov 29, 2018

Over the course of this year, Lulu has changed so much.

Six years ago, a couple pulled over near Honolua Bay, placed a dog bowl with a little food in it and pushed out a puppy on the side of the road. For six years, she only survived by people driving by and throwing out Styrofoam containers of leftover food while she lived in the tall grass shivering from the cold rain and sweating from the summer heat, always looking for water.

For years, I would drive up there, leave dog food in a dish off the side of the road and sometimes see her emerge out of the forest. She had five puppies, and thanks to Dr. Susan Baylee, they were rescued and found good homes. Although the Maui Humane Society tried to trap her many times, she outsmarted them until a lady last year captured her using a net.

She was taken to the shelter and after three weeks, they decided to end her life, being that she was found not adoptable.

While having dinner at a restaurant in Lahaina on a Friday night, my daughter received a Facebook notice talking about her termination on Monday. I immediately called the emergency number and talked to the night person, explaining that for many years, I drove up to Honolua Bay, gave her water and fed her, and that I wanted to adopt her. They called me back and I went in on Monday.

After talking to the adoption people, they finally allowed me to adopt her – but gave me a warning that she would escape given the chance. They helped me carry her to my jeep, and on the long ride home, she cowered in the corner. Once home, she met my other nine dogs but receded to the corner of the house.

Over the next several days, she slowly emerged and began to socialize with them. Then a miracle happened: she started to wag her tail and bark, which had never happened over the last six years alone by herself and too scared to come near anybody.

Over the course of this year, she has changed so much. All my dogs just love her, constantly licking and playing with her. Although still shy around other people, she has become very close to me and sleeps in my room every night. We go for walks late at night down our little street, and without a leash on, she follows me back and is the first one in through the door.

At the time I first picked her up, we were told by the vet at the Humane Society that her spleen was swollen and she had a bad tooth that would eventually become infected and kill her. I immediately took her to Dr. Murakami at the Lahaina Veterinary Clinic, he preformed the operation in one day, and then I brought her home.

I want to thank everyone who helped contribute with the medical costs that saved her life. She is such a sweetheart and loved by all the people in our family. We recently found out that two of her puppies live close by, and we are planning a reunion to see if she remembers them. I want to thank Mark, the editor from Lahaina News, for publishing my story that touched the hearts of many pet lovers.