homepage logo

Ask The Mayor

By Staff | Sep 26, 2013

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: I am curious about two subjects here in West Maui: 1) The horrendous stench in Kaanapali and in Honokowai on the upper road. It is absolutely unbearable some days. And 2) The ongoing construction in Kaanapali every afternoon – why is it not done in the evenings? The congestion is bad! Please explain and let me know if you have a solution to these problems. Thank you for your time, and aloha.

Answer: Both of your inquiries are related to Department of Environmental Management projects.

Over the past month, the Wastewater Reclamation Division completed a major repair to wastewater processing equipment in the treatment plant. That process involved the draining of a processing tank of some four million gallons of wastewater, removal of grit and organic material at the bottom of the tank and the replacement of internal equipment. The repairs should be done within the next week or two.

To answer the second question, a sewer line along Honoapiilani Highway is being replaced from Kaanapali Drive to the area fronting the Fairway Shops. Because the underground material is all rock, heavy machinery is required to

install the new sewer line, which makes a lot of noise. Therefore, the work cannot be done at night. The project is scheduled for completion within the next three months.

Question: An organization I belong to will be hosting a fashion show fundraiser where food and wine will be served. Since it’s a one-time event, do we still need to get a permit to serve alcohol?

Answer: Yes, charitable or educational not-for-profit organizations, political parties and candidates seeking public office should apply for a special license granted by the director of Liquor Control. Secondly, a permit would need to be obtained for events such as fashion shows, beauty pageants, trade shows, product tastings and other events at which alcohol will be served. Applications for special liquor licenses and liquor permits may be downloaded from the county website at

“http://www.mauicounty.gov/liquor”>www.mauicounty.gov/liquor; click on “Licensing Applications.”

Question: My son goes to a sitter, but he’s almost ready for preschool. My husband and I both work, but it’s still so expensive! Does the county have anyone to give me advice about child care centers or tuition assistance, so we can make an informed decision?

Answer: Yes, the County of Maui Early Childhood Center, a program of the Department of Housing & Human Concerns, can help. The center works in partnership with Maui Family Support Services Inc. to offer information and resources about issues that impact families with young children and to implement the Maui County Child Care Subsidy for working parents. To inquire about the subsidy, call 242-1608. The Early Childhood Center also has a free lending library with resources for parents, caregivers and providers; it includes information on choosing quality childcare. Early Childhood Coordinator Ka’ina Bonacorsi also helps guide and support the development of a coordinated system of early childhood services in Maui County for young children ages birth to eight years old. Ka’ina will be able to inform you of any current initiatives that may impact your family’s situation and child care choices. The County of Maui Early Childhood Center is located at 251 Napua St. in Wailuku (across from Ichiban Wailuku). To reach Ka’ina, call 270-5557 or e-mail kaina.bonacorsi@mauicounty.gov.

Want to “Ask the Mayor?” Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via e-mail at AskTheMayor@mauicounty.gov, phone 270-7855 or mail to 200 S. High St., Ninth Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.