homepage logo

Fire destroys Lahaina home

By Staff | Jul 14, 2011

The fire at 852 Kelawea St. was reported at 6:20 p.m. on July 4. Photo by Carrera R. Catugal.

LAHAINA — An electrical issue caused a fire that destroyed a home at 852 Kelawea St. on July 4, Maui Fire Department reported.

Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $375,000.

The fire was reported at 6:20 p.m. by the homeowner.

Firefighters responded to smoke seen at this residence. When Engine 3 arrived on the scene, the structure was fully involved.

A 124-gallon propane tank on the property was venting, so eight homes were evacuated as a precaution.

All-clear on the propane tank was called at 11 p.m., and the fire was called extinguished at 12:36.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion.