Hawaii’s longest-running wine and food event, in conjunction with the Maui County Farm Bureau, will retool the Friday night Grand Tasting into a “Grown on Maui Gala,” where top island chefs will be paired with Maui farmers to create specialized culinary creations.
For the gala on June 10 at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua’s Aloha Garden Pavilion, organizers worked closely with the featured chefs and Maui County Farm Bureau farmers to choose the perfect partner pairings.
Paired restaurants, farmers and featured dishes include:
• Cilantro Mexican Grill and Pacific Produce — Mahi-mahi ceviche tostada with citrus, watercress and jicama salad and Mother Clucker Flautas with hibiscus jalapeno jelly on a bed of Kula greens, roasted corn and pomegranate vinaigrette;
• Flatbread Company and Hana Herbs and Flowers — Pohole fern flatbread and salad;
• The Plantation House Restaurant and Escobedo Farm — Chef’s Meze Table with Bab Ghanjouj (eggplant-tahini), Melitzanosalata (eggplant-walnut), Eggplant-Sausage Caponata, hummus, Mediterranean olives, peppers, marinated cheese and pita, flatbread and crostini;
• Ruth’s Chris Steak House and J Shishido Farm — Broccoli Beef with house-cured bersola, sautéed broccoli with a cilantro vinaigrette and Wild Mushroom Fricassee with house-cured pancetta, parmigiano reggiano, red wine demi glaze and whole leaf parsley;
• The Banyan Tree and Syl’s Produce — Seafood Sausage with pumpernickel and béarnaise sauce and Smoked Ono on a Maui-Style tortilla with crème fraiche;
• Monkeypod Kitchen by Merriman and Olowalu Nui Farm — Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Olowalu Nui Farm Tomato, Pineapple and Beet Gazpacho;
• The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and Kula Country Farms — Desserts by Chef Ashley.
As always, a central focus of the Friday night event will be the premium wines and wineries.
Featured Master Sommelier Selections and Wine Stations include:
• A Tour of California with selections by Festival Host Fred Dame — Etude Heirloom Pinot Noir, Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages, Penfolds RWT Shiraz, Penfolds Yattana Chardonnay and Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Other featured wines include La Jota, Arbios, Rudd, Jordan, Louis M. Martini, Littorai, Sapphire Hill, Lucia, Chalone, Hanzell, Justin, Patz & Hall, Scherrer and Silver Oak Southern Hemisphere Wines.
• Master Sommelier Selections by Andrew McNamara will include Chateau Lassegue St. Emilion Grand Cru, E. Guigal Gigondas, Rebholz Riesling Spatlese Trocken, Melvill Estate Pinot Noir and Hamilton Russell Chardonnay.
• Master Sommelier Selections by Jay Fletcher will include Robert Weil Kabinett Halbtrocken Riesling, Dr. Loosen Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese Riesling, Betts & Scholl Black Betty Shiraz and Chateau Fuisse Tete.
• Master Sommelier Selections by Larry Stone will feature Leitz Riesling, Varnier-Fanniere Avize Grand Cru, Jermann Pinot Grigio and Evening Land Vineyards.
Many other Southern Hemisphere, Pacific Northwest, European and Sparkling Wines will be featured at the gala, along with a Maui Brewing Company Draft Beer Bar, Maui Coffee Roasters Specialty Brews and Maui County Farm Bureau and Waiwera US booths.
The event kicks off on June 9 and runs through June 12 with a variety of culinary- and wine-related events and seminars. For information, or to purchase tickets, visit www.kapalua.com or call 665-9160.
At the “Grown on Maui Gala,” farmer Jon Applegate (pictured) of Olowalu Nui Farms will work with Chef Dalzell of Monkeypod Kitchen, and Escobedo Farm Owner Noel Escobedo (pictured) will be paired with Chef/Partner Alex Stanislaw of The Plantation House Restaurant. Photos by Steve Brinkman Photography.